Thursday, May 14, 2009

An Obsessive Compulsive's 'Life In Rewind' : NPR

A fascinating, tragic struggle with the horrors of a brain just slightly out of balance. Tortures of OCD told from the point of view of the man who experiences the compulsions.

An Obsessive Compulsive's 'Life In Rewind' : NPR

I am working on a story idea (well, have been for quite a long time, actually) that deals with different views and experiences of reality. I've been exploring, lately, the notion that the main character might be, by the strict clinical point of view, showing signs of mental illness, perhaps scizophrenia, perhaps more. When I started thinking of this approach, I found that I really wanted to understand more about life from the perspective of those who suffer from these conditions.

As someone who has suffered from crippling depression, moderate anxiety and a processing disorder that fits under the rubrik of "Attention Deficit Disorder", I know something about how one's mind can color and twist the world around you.

So I am seeking sources that can help me understand even more the human dimension of mental illness.

Anyone who is interested, please feel free to email me at vania at pandorasdream dot com. Or if you feel comfortable, feel free to leave a comment.

No comments: